Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Workplace Accidents – Attorney Mark Larson Explains What Injured Workers Should Do

  • A worker gets injured on the job every 7 seconds
  • If you are insured, you are entitled to benefits
  • The first thing to do after getting injured is to speak to a direct supervisor or the HR

Workplace injuries are quite common. In fact, according to the National Safety Council, every 7 seconds a worker is injured on the job. Some of the most common workplace injuries include slip and falls, muscle strains, being hit by falling objects, crashes and collisions, cuts and lacerations, and inhaling toxic fumes.

“If you are injured on the job, you are usually entitled to benefits,” said Larson, a partner at Larson, Larson & Dauer, who focuses on workers’ compensation. “The first thing you should do after sustaining an injury at work is to speak to a direct supervisor or the HR department. Ascertain how they handle your workplace injury. Are they supportive or are they blowing you and your injury off?”

HR Technology News: Enterprises Across EMEA Continue to Choose Workday Financial Management

A workplace injury can involve psychological as well as physical injuries. If an employee suffers from one or both and their employer refrains from acting on the complaint of injury, the injured employee should download the California DWC-1 workers’ compensation claim form online.

“The most important parts of this form are the date of injury and injured body parts,” stressed Larson, who, being raised in a family of attorneys and watching insurance companies deny benefits to rightful parties, has a passion for law and fighting cases against insurance companies.

If one’s injury occurred over time (cumulative trauma claim), Larson advises putting the start date of employment through the date the injured party filled out the DWC-1 form. “If your injury involved a specific incident, put that specific injury date,” added Larson. “Additionally, you should go to the doctor ASAP and explain all of your injured body parts.”

After visiting the doctor, it is imperative that the injured worker give their DWC-1 claim form with the doctor’s report to their employer. If the injured worker was fired prior to filing their claim, they should immediately contact an attorney to discuss their options.

HR Technology News: Industry Leader First Advantage Partners with Housing and Employment-Focused Non-Profit

“The aforementioned recommendations assume that your injuries do not require emergency treatment. If you are taken to the hospital from work, your employer should take care of the workers’ compensation paperwork for you,” concluded Larson. “If not, hire a reputable workers’ comp attorney. And always go to the doctor. If the workers’ compensation treatment is terrible or nonexistent, go to your own treating doctor through your personal insurance.”

Mark Larson has always focused his career on recovering compensation from the rich and powerful and giving it back to the people who are needy and deserving. He helped handle the Lockheed Martin toxic litigation case and his firm sought $1.5 billion from the company and represented approximately 1,400 claimants.

During the course of his distinguished career, Larson has been interviewed by Forbes magazine, as well as being named one of the 10 Best Attorneys by the American Institute of Law, received an Elite Award from the American Institute of Legal Advocates and Top 40 Under 40 by the American Academy of Attorneys. In 2019, he was also awarded the Super Lawyers’ Rising Star Award and recognized in the Top 100 Workers’ Compensation Attorneys by the American Academy of Attorneys.

HR Technology News: US Gig Workers Earn $1.2T And Are Most Loyal to Contractors Offering Mobile Apps with Same Day Pay and Prepaid Rewards