XpertHR’s annual survey, conducted in October 2019, in which 701 organizations participated to share their thoughts on strategic business challenges reveals how employers are being increasingly challenged in certain areas.
We spoke to Beth Zoller, XpertHR’s Legal Editor for her thoughts:
Beth is a Legal Editor at XpertHR where she covers a wide range of topics related to discrimination and harassment, diversity, recruiting and hiring, employee privacy, and workplace conduct.
Prior to this, she practiced employment law as an attorney, advising employers and handling litigation matters. She is also currently an adjunct professor for the Seton Hall Law School’s online program.
Could you tell us about XpertHR’s annual survey and how you identify your survey participants? Could you also give us an overview of your recent findings?
The survey was conducted in October 2019. 701 organizations participated. Responses were obtained from private employers, public employers and non-profit organizations, small, medium and large employers in all geographic areas. The goal of the survey was to gain insight into strategic and compliance challenges and compare how these challenges have evolved year over year. While we found that some of the challenges were the same, the degree to which employers have been challenged seems to be rapidly increasing in certain areas.
Recruitment, especially the gap when it comes to sourcing/recruiting quality candidates has always been a challenge. What are some of your top suggestions for B2B/Tech Companies to solve this problem across departments (especially when sourcing for or hiring profiles across Marketing/Sales/Ops,etc).
When it comes to sourcing and recruiting high quality candidates, B2B/Tech companies should be willing to think broadly and outside the box. Consider the following:
- Cast a wide net and consider candidates outside your geographic area, engage remote workers
- Reach out to non-traditional candidates such as veterans, the formerly incarcerated, or older workers who may be able to bring valuable skills
- Streamline your application process – make sure to actively communicate with applicants and keep them in the loop
- Tap into top talent and referrals in your organization who may be able to lead to new hires
- Consider nontraditional arrangements – gig workers, part time, job shares – which may be a fit for individuals in different phases of their lives
How do you foresee HR Tech shaping or re-shaping the role of the typical future HR lead/HR Head?
HR tech can play an active role in shaping HR through the use of analytics to evaluate and measure progress in all phases of the employee lifecycle from recruiting and hiring to employee engagement and retention to employee exits.
What according to you are some of the best ways for B2B/Tech organizations to
a) attract the right talent and b) create a purpose-driven work culture?
To attract the right talent, B2B/Tech organizations should focus on building their employer brand and culture. Making the workplace a workplace of choice and a place where employees want to work. Employers also may consider improving their total rewards package- compensation, benefits, incentives, professional development opportunities.
Your top 5 best practices when it comes to overall HR and People Management in Tech/B2B Companies?
- Develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures
- Train employees and supervisors
- Investigate complaints and concerns
- Create a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, respectful and transparent
- Use predictive analytics to track and evaluate progress over all phases of the employee life cycle
Your favorite HRTech/Leadership/Recruitment Quote and any last tips you’d like to share.
When it comes to recruiting and hiring and workforce planning, it is critical for employers to understand how societal, cultural and technological changes as well as legal developments create challenges and obstacles for employers. Employers today need to connect HR strategy to the employer’s business strategy, goals and priorities and ensure that talent acquisition, performance management, training, compensation and befits align.